History of Local 553

In the midst of the tumultuous years of the Great Depression, men of vision and vigor came together for a common purpose in Durham, North Carolina. Their mission: in a disastrous economy, facing job shortages and crushing poverty around them, to ensure that electrical workers in central North Carolina had representation, dignity, value, and substance for their labor.

Local 553 Charter

Charter of Local 553

In 1934, a number of local electricians petitioned the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers that a local union be chartered in the Raleigh/Durham area. Thus began a grand tradition of proud union workers in the electrical field in this part of the state. Today, the mission of our local branch is the same as it was back in 1934, when big changes for Central North Carolina happened in a little brick building at 410 ½ Main St., Durham, NC.

From humble origins, Local 553 has grown into an influential electrical presence in the state, and currently serves electrical workers from the Tidewater to the Piedmont. The American dream is built on the pride of the American worker and the strong middle class that came about because of dedicated union members. As such, we remain committed to tirelessly representing the interests of the electrical workers of central and northeastern North Carolina, and we always will.

xyz